FUEL LEAK AT THE GAS TANK AT FIRST THOUGHT IT ...

1996 Isuzu Trooper

mbloom1

Fuel leak at the gas tank, at first thought it was the tank but now am sure it's a fuel line on top as it only leaks after using it.
Also hard starting unless I turn off the radio and listen for the pump to Prime the line and then it starts but will continue to drip for half an hour later.

I think one of the lines on top of the tank has pin holed and I'm up north where we have Winter and Salt put on the roads and think the sludge will accumulate and sit there.

It's not the tank since no leak once not under pressure, so how many lines are up top leading out?

Thanks in Advance

Missing Part And Leaking Fuel

Gas Leak

January, 27, 2013 AT 6:53 AM

One pressurised line for fuel to the tank and another return line for excess fuel from fuel rail.

You need to drop the fuel tank to check.

mbloom1

KLow2008,

Thanks for the quick reply, found the manual but it's a Chilton's and doesn't show much detail apart from a tiny sketch.
So don't know if if there is a coupling and just can change just that portion of line coming from the tank.

All the Isuzu dealers are long gone, will try JC Whitney and see if they have any info and replacement pieces.

Since it's 25F outside will have to take it to a shop and don't want it sitting there for 4 days waiting for parts.

Once again Thank You!

Marc

.

You are welcome.

Leaks are usually from the lines as couplings don't give way. If lines are corrodes badly, they would have to be changed as repairing one portion might result in another section giving way later.

Good luck.

mbloom1

KHLow2008,

You are absolutely right, the hassle is dropping the tank and Labour Always is the biggest part of the Bill. So for the need and want of say another $70 one would have to be totally naive not to replace both.

In my City, New Car Dealership shop rates are $120-140, private independent shops, can't find one less than $80 hour. Now if I was going to get rid of it, would only do the minimum.

If it was April, would do it myself as have another summer driver but things always hit the fan at the worst possible time and that guy Murphy knows when to Strike. : -(

I'm going to try to source both lines from tank to 1st coupling before I take it in (rather than have it sit in the shop for 3-4 days).

Then another conundrum comes up, yeah it's an old truck but only 56,000 miles and the original pump. Like now that the tank is on the shop floor. Put a new one in or stick with the original. These pumps either work or they don't, unlike the Brit S.U. External electrics that would burn their points and needed a good knock to get them going again, so you could limp home.

Thanks for your Help, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marc

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado