WHY DOESN'T MY CAR TURN ON?

1996 Infiniti Q45

nimzay_02

September, 29, 2011 AT 5:37 PM

Recently, I was driving my car, and it was running just fine until it ran out of gas and turned off. I put gas and it still wouldn't turn on, I even tried switching the battery with a fully functioning one to see if it might have been the battery, but still wouldn't start. Also, I replaced the fuel pump and can hear the fuel pump when I try to turn the car on, but feels like no gas is going through. I also checked the fuel filter but no gunk came out so I figure its not that. Also, the car makes a small clicking noise between the filter and battery. I'm not sure if this matters but the security light doesn't turn off, it stays on the whole time. When I step on the gas pedal it feels hard, and there seems to be a hose that is disconnected from somewhere not sure were it goes, but its right next to the engine.

saturntech9

September, 29, 2011 AT 5:57 PM

You have to check the fuel pressure with a fuel gauge to rule out fuel pressure as the problem. Not just try to feel for fuel pressure.

nimzay_02

September, 29, 2011 AT 6:07 PM

Oh Ok, sorry I don't know much about cars, I just watch my friends and ask questions, so I am still learning. Once I do that, what exactly am I looking for?

saturntech9

September, 29, 2011 AT 6:21 PM

So your security light stays on?The engine will crank over but not start?Also have you checked for codes?

nimzay_02

September, 30, 2011 AT 2:53 PM

Yes it does. No I haven't checked for codes.

saturntech9

September, 30, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

So you havent checked for codes can you get a code reader and see if you have any?Also the security light is on?The engine will crank over but just wont start?Also have you checked your fuel pressure yet?You need to post mre detailed answers. Like yes or no the security light is on. Yes or no the engine turns over and wont start etc.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe