ODYSSEY BRAKES

• tradertim76
  • 1996 Honda Odyssey
  • automatic

My 96 idyssey passenger rear brake caliper is sticking closed. How do I determine if there is a clog in the brke hose, or the caliper needs to be replaced? I just replaced the long brake hose and saw there is a shorter one too. The whole wheel is heating up.

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 10:38 PM

• rasmataz

Sounds like the caliper piston is corroded and not retracting-start here if okay then check the brake hose if its collasped internally acting as a one way check valve-

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 10:43 PM
  • romyspec

Check caliper sliding rods for corrosion. You can check for blockage by unlocking the flex hose leading to the brake caliper, then have someone press the brake. If fluid flows freely, that line is not blocked. But if there is restrision, then you can remove flex hose. Repeat the test to see if the blockage is beyond the flex hose after remoing it.

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 10:55 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Just open the bleeder. If the caliper releases, then the problem is in the hydraulics. If it doesn't, the caliper is stuck at either the piston or the slides.

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 11:12 PM