MY AC IS SHOT.

1996 Geo Prizm

RJV

November, 18, 2011 AT 5:27 PM

The freon must have leaked out. I can't take the ac unit off, can I just cut the belt so I don't have to worry about it since it goes over the tension wheel? Or is more stuff connected to that belt route?

fixitmr

November, 18, 2011 AT 6:39 PM

Shot meaning it's noisy? Cant cut belt if it drives any other necessary accessories.

RJV

November, 18, 2011 AT 7:11 PM

I had already ripped out all those hoses that ran up from the AC unit. It looks like the inner belt runs around the ac unit, the main pulley and a tension wheel.

fixitmr

November, 19, 2011 AT 3:29 AM

I was wondering why you want to cut belt? Thats why I asked if it's noisy?

RJV

November, 19, 2011 AT 8:01 AM

No noise, but I bought the car with the AC not working. I don't want to worry about replacing the belt anymore and I would like to also see about taking the AC unit out to lighten the car weight to get better mileage.

fixitmr

November, 19, 2011 AT 6:59 PM

Ok, if there is nothing besides idler and compressor on that belt have at it. Although in my opinion it is not going to save on mileage.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Condition Condenser Replacement