HELLO

• bugstar
  • 1996 Geo Metro
  • automatic

Hi what can be the problem with my car it gets too hot and turns off and I think it is the fuel filter or ignition rotor

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 3:57 AM

• fixitmr

It probably gets too hot because your cooling sytem is failing to keep it cool. Does your radiator fan work/come on when it's hot? The heat can cause an thermo-electrical shutdown.

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 4:33 AM
  • bugstar

Well I dont know if it gets hot and turns off but it turns off anytime when were driving it and the guy said he have'nt changed the gas filter in a long while so its probally clogged up. And yes it works the radiator

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 5:55 AM
  • fixitmr

Easy to find out if it's clogged? Disconnect and turn on and see if gas comes out. If it squirts out it aint clogged. You didn't say how long you have to wait to start car again when it quits? You also say car gets hot. This by itself can make car quit. I asked you if radiator FAN works. If you just want to replace parts on a hunch go ahead, it's your money.

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 10:07 AM
  • bugstar

Yes the radiator works but am I suppost to take out the fuel filter and then press on the gas or do I leave it and check because when it was on the car would drive fine then turn off out of no where what are the symptoms of a clogged filter

Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 12:35 AM
  • fixitmr

I check filter by disconnecting end going to motor and sticking in a can/jar and turn key just to 'on' (not start). Pump will run for a couple seconds and you will see fuel squirt out of filter if it's ok. If it just dribbles out then it may be plugged or pump is weak. If it dribbles you can remove it completely and test again for squirt from line. If good squirt then filter is clogged pump is ok.

Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:11 AM
  • fixitmr

You didn't state when car turns off, if it starts back up again immediately?

Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 6:12 AM
  • bugstar

Yes it turns on right away but if I drive it it might turn off again and wont turn on until 20-1 hr.

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 1:41 AM
  • fixitmr

So check it for spark when it quits and wont start. It may be the ignition module is overheating and shutting down. Or you have a fuel pump that is overheating and shutting down/acting weak.

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 8:15 AM
  • bugstar

Ok how do you check if a fuel pump is bad please tell me thank you for this type of car 1996 geo metro

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 7:55 PM
  • fixitmr

You could disconnect filter when it's not starting and check the flow rate or do a pressure test when running good and when quitting/not starting.

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 8:38 PM