OUT OF SOLUTIONS??

1996 Ford Laser

runzamuck

November, 19, 2010 AT 2:32 PM

I have a 1996 ford laser K, J, 2. (1.6 twin cam) runs great when cold after 5 min power dies, rev counter drops to 0 lights on dash come on. Engine will crank over but not fire.
1.I have change the dizzy (no change)
2. Took to local auto elecy they had for one week results that come back are as follows:
. Checked wiring on ignition switch
. Check starting
. Extract codes 03 dizzy-08 air sensor
. Check wiring between dizzy and ECU
. No pulse to ECU
Diagnoses needs new dizzy.
So I bought a 3rd dizzy and installed still same as: runs for 5 min cut out but this time fuel pump stoped as well and no spark gave it a rest and she fired up again.
any solutions I am stumped?

Jumpy Tach Needle

November, 19, 2010 AT 2:56 PM

When sparks are not available, did you test the power supply to the distributor?
Have you checked the electronic engine control relay?

runzamuck

November, 19, 2010 AT 3:06 PM

runzamuck

November, 19, 2010 AT 3:27 PM

Could it be the ECU and if so could I use same year (1.8) will it do the same job

runzamuck

November, 19, 2010 AT 4:05 PM

Ok tested 4 power at dizzy the white with red & black with key on yes (+), but with key off the same 2 wires test (-), when testing the purple and green on dizzy with test light it starts the fuel pump

November, 19, 2010 AT 6:19 PM

Do you have power while cranking? A bad ignition switch can cause non starting. Distributor does not require the ECM to provide sparks. It can crank and have sparks if there is power supply.

Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?
Our database does not have the information so can you let me know the ignition system and engine model used in your vehicle?

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement