NEED HELP RELEASING AIR, POSSIBLY, FROM OIL SYSTEM

1996 Ford F-250

digdug123

January, 3, 2012 AT 3:33 AM

No oil pressure after changing o-rings on oil cooler, under exhaust manifold. Vehicle won't start.
had to use ether to start engine, noticed oil gauge showed oil pressure at normal for a couple seconds then, went to "0" and then shut down.

merlin2021

January, 3, 2012 AT 9:37 AM

You might have to remove the oil pan and re prime the pump. Vasaline packed into the pickup tube should do the trick.

Wrenchtech

January, 3, 2012 AT 10:55 AM

I would suggest pulling the pan and inspecting the pick up screen. It is very rare for a pump to have pressure and then lose it unless the pick up is either restricted or sucking air.

digdug123

January, 4, 2012 AT 4:46 AM

My oil is changed on a regular basis so its clean all of the time. I've never let go dark. Is there any other way to reprime the oil pump like, taking off the valve covers and loosening the allen screws just below the rocker arms? Theres two of them and I was thinking of loosening them and maybe bleading the air out of the system thru them as I remotely crank the engine.
What do you think?

merlin2021

January, 4, 2012 AT 9:36 AM

Only reliable way is the way I said, but you would be better of pumping through the cooler lines.

Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes