96 7.3 CHECK ENGINE LITE

1996 Ford F-250

willietm44@yahoo.com

My 96 F-250 7.3 check engine light comes on every time I start it and stays on for about 1-2 minutes. Engine seems to run fine during this period. When the light goes out the engine either speeds up greatly and dies or sputters and then runs fines until it needs to be started again. If I attempt to drive with the light on the transmission shifts very hard. I find no codes in memory when I check. Do you have any ideas as to what or where my problem may be coming from?

Dr. Hagerty

There are several factory bulletins(too many to list here)that could be the solution to your issue. Some might have been factory published issues that could have made it to your mailbox, or not. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your Ford truck service provider straightaway to have a technician/service writer run down the list of possibilities and eliminate this problem.