Horn system circuit

AHMEDFARES
  • 1996 FORD CONTOUR
I have ford contour 1996 GL, and my horn is not work, is off, I tested the fues, wires and cables, is good, what is another problem in thes case?
thanks
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM

If you do not hear the relay click when you press the button, a good suspect is the clock spring. That is a wound-up ribbon cable in a plastic housing under the steering wheel.

If the relay does click, suspect defective horns.
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 9:04 PM
Did you use a voltage tester at applicable fuse? Even if the fuse is good, no voltage and the circuit is dead. Usually the problem is in the steering column. That wiring is usually ground for the horn.
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
Apply power to the horn itself and see what happens if okay check the horn relay okay you're right back to the steering wheel/clock spring
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 9:23 PM
AHMEDFARES
Thaks for all
is the earbag in the steerign wheel cause that broblem? Can I fix the broplem if the steering wheel cause that?
Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 AT 8:03 PM
If diagnosis suggests the clock spring is defective, you'll need a steering wheel puller to remove it to get to that part, after removing the air bag.
Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 AT 11:57 PM
Doc- were all bouncing heads today-what's with the early warning signal on us before we answer it-is it working or what? I don't see it-I don't like steeping on peoples toes-
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 12:08 AM
No need to apologize. We're all posting over each other. Sometimes two or three heads are better than one.
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 1:13 AM
CADIEMAN
Remove the bag assy. And see if the connection is loose. If no remove the pad and use a test light to probe the horn spring hole if the horn blows its in the pad if no horn go to the turn sigmal switch connector at the base of the column and probe the connector when you probe the horn wire you will hear the horn and relay sound. That mean its in the column. Gl
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 2:28 AM
If its me- I'll do a John Wayne style on it- use a push button and wire the horn direct-too! Old for all that stuffs/time
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 3:22 AM
AHMEDFARES
Thank you very much for all
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 8:49 PM
BILLHORTON777
Had the same problem on my '98 and discovered rust/corrosion on the horn bracket was preventing it from grounding. Horn worked fine when I tested it with 12 volts, then I cleaned the bracket before bolting it back up and the horn worked fine. So, make sure the mounting bracket is grounding properly to complete the circuit.
Saturday, October 6th, 2018 AT 12:19 PM
Thank you for that fix. If the horn relay is inside the car, you would hear it click when pressing the horn switch. You may not hear it if it's in the under-hood fuse box.
Saturday, October 6th, 2018 AT 9:13 PM