HORN SYSTEM CIRCUIT

1996 Ford Contour

ahmedfares

June, 20, 2011 AT 9:00 PM

I have ford contour 1996 GL, and my horn is not work, is off, I tested the fues, wires and cables, is good, what is another problem in thes case?
thanks

caradiodoc

June, 20, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

If you do not hear the relay click when you press the button, a good suspect is the clock spring. That is a wound-up ribbon cable in a plastic housing under the steering wheel.

If the relay does click, suspect defective horns.

June, 20, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

Did you use a voltage tester at applicable fuse? Even if the fuse is good, no voltage and the circuit is dead. Usually the problem is in the steering column. That wiring is usually ground for the horn.

June, 20, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

Apply power to the horn itself and see what happens if okay check the horn relay okay you're right back to the steering wheel/clock spring

ahmedfares

June, 22, 2011 AT 8:03 PM

Thaks for all
is the earbag in the steerign wheel cause that broblem? Can I fix the broplem if the steering wheel cause that?

caradiodoc

June, 22, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

If diagnosis suggests the clock spring is defective, you'll need a steering wheel puller to remove it to get to that part, after removing the air bag.

June, 23, 2011 AT 12:08 AM

Doc- were all bouncing heads today-what's with the early warning signal on us before we answer it-is it working or what? I don't see it-I don't like steeping on peoples toes-

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2011 AT 1:13 AM

No need to apologize. We're all posting over each other. Sometimes two or three heads are better than one.

cadieman

June, 23, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

Remove the bag assy. And see if the connection is loose. If no remove the pad and use a test light to probe the horn spring hole if the horn blows its in the pad if no horn go to the turn sigmal switch connector at the base of the column and probe the connector when you probe the horn wire you will hear the horn and relay sound. That mean its in the column. Gl

June, 23, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

If its me- I'll do a John Wayne style on it- use a push button and wire the horn direct-too! Old for all that stuffs/time

ahmedfares

June, 23, 2011 AT 8:49 PM

Thank you very much for all