I HAVE A STARTING ISSUE WITH MY BRONCO

1996 Ford Bronco

Anonymous

April, 7, 2013 AT 10:53 PM

I have a starting issue with my bronco. Thought it was a solenoid or the starter itself but after replacing them both I still have the same problem. When I turn the key to start it most of the time my gauges won't even come on. Sometimes when they do come on my voltage gauge reads low even though a battery test said my battery is good. After I turn the key there is just a click and everything shuts down. I can get it to start if I jump it however. Anything I can check or look at?

caradiodoc

April, 7, 2013 AT 11:16 PM

Start with the battery cable connections. The jumper cables may be squeezing one so it makes a better contact. You can also identify that by doing a voltage test. Turn the head lights on so some current is trying to flow, then measure the voltage right on the battery posts. Next, move the meter probes to the cable clamps. The voltage must be exactly the same. Keep moving down the line until you find a spot where the voltage is lower. That will be the point of the bad connection.

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right