I OWN A 1996 DODGE STRATUS MY CAR HAS BEEN ...

1996 Dodge Stratus

JamesK82

November, 29, 2012 AT 5:00 PM

I own a 1996 Dodge stratus, My Car has been sitting for over a year, I changed the battery, car starts and will run. Now, if I turn it off it won't start again till another jump but it will run forever after I turn it on. Only when I turn it off it won't start again until the next jump. Can you please help?

November, 29, 2012 AT 5:18 PM

When the problem occurs, are you saying it cranks good but won't start? Check for applicable trouble codes, anything? With engine cranking, the system gets battery voltage. Engine running, the system gets alternator voltage, that is a few volts higher.

November, 29, 2012 AT 5:23 PM

Just to add, You can check mil codes, yourself. Turn key just till dash lites come, no further, cycle key on--off, on--off, on, then the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

JamesK82

December, 1, 2012 AT 9:43 PM

Thanks JDL,

I tried what you suggested, for some reason it didn't work or I didn't do it enough. I tried between 6 and 7 times and didn't see anything flash. Is there a youtube video to see what you mean?

Also, I was trying to jump it with my gf's car 2010 mazda 3 and it wouldn't start now, but the other day it started with my buddies 1990 accord. It just ticks while trying to start it.

I dunno what to do, I bought a battery and the battery seems to be fine but could it be my alternator or something electrical?

Please advise if you have any thoughts on it?

James

December, 1, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

Will the vehicle crank? Use digital multimeter across battery posts, everything off, what is the reading?

JamesK82

December, 13, 2012 AT 8:11 PM

Ok, so I know its not the Alternator because I jumped the car last night and used the multimeter on it immediately and was reading 14.55 on average. And I left the car on for like 3-4 hours and it stayed on.

After I turned it off, and immediately tried turning it back on again it would not start. It cranked with that ticking sound but would not start.

Any ideas?

James

December, 14, 2012 AT 11:25 PM

Are you saying the starter motor cranks, but, it won't start? If so, have a helper crank it while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger