HELLO I AM HAVING A HARD TIME TRYING TO REMOVE ...

• Anonymous
  • 1996 Chevrolet Suburban

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to remove the front driveshaft of my 4x4 truck to replace the rear main seal. I have removed the clamps at the yokes at the transfer case end and the front differential but I cannot compress the shaft far enough to remove it. I've tried using a prybar and using a rubber mallet, but to no avail. Will I need to remove the universal joint first? And also, is the rear of the shaft removed by seperating the two yoke halves or is it splined into the transfer case like the rear driveshaft?

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 3:34 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Use a hammer to looses. It is stuck in there from rust build up over the years.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 3:54 PM
  • wowie

It probably has only been less than year since the truck has been sitting. I will try using a big hammer next. The area shown in the picture of the rear of the driveshaft is suppose to compress?BThanks.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 6:43 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Yes, hopefully, you have been greasing it regularly.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 7:03 PM
  • wowie

I haven't greased it since I got it almost two yuears ago and the area is not dry or rusted. I still got to try the bigger hammer tomorrow and I will update this post accordingly. Thank you.

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 5:30 AM