Emperature gauge keeps bouncing around

RIDAO
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

The Temperature gauge on my 1996 silverado keeps bouncing around from all the way hot to normal operating range. When this first started I filled the radiator with coolant, Temp gauge keeps bouncing from all the way hot to normal operating range. When this first started I changed the thermostat, that did not fix the problem.

I went to the local parts store to get a temperature sending unit, but they said that there was not one listed for a 1996 silverado 5.7 four wheel drive. Where is the temperature sending unit located on this vehicle?

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 10:43 PM

WRENCHTECH

It shares a temp sensor with the computer. It sounds like there is air in the system, probably due to a leak but could be a blown head gasket also.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

Try checking the coolant temperature sensor-On left cylinder head, near No. 1 spark plug.

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 11:26 PM
WRENCHTECH

Ras is right. There is a separate sender for the gauge in the side of that head and check the connection of the wire to the sender, engine vibration can make it short.

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 11:36 PM