DOES NOT STAY RUNNING WITH MAF SENSOR CONNECTED

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

ajracerex

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:08 AM

Hi
i've got a 1996 chevy monte carlo 3.1 with 201,000 miles. I just got finished an intake gasket that I did myself and everything turned out perfect. I recently discovered that I never put a new gasket in place of the old one for the EGR valve so I put a new one in after removing the old stuff. I then found a crack in the EGR tube that goes to the back of the engine. I got a new one and replaced it. Well I got the car to start but it didn't stay started. It sputtered out and shut off. The technician that was there disconnected the MAF sensor and it started right up but was idling at a steady 2500 RPMs (like I was partially on the throttle but not). Why is this? He says I need a new MAF sensor but then another technician told me a few minutes later that it's not. What could potentially be the problem? Any answers would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to get the car back on the road. Thanks

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:29 AM

When there is a malfunction, the obd computer has the ability to put in a known good value to make the car run good till you get it fixed. Thats the reason it runs good with the maf disconnected.

It could be the sensor or it could be something else. You need to have the codes pulled, and the data evaluated to determine the failure.

Get it checked out and dont start throwing parts at it till you are sure.

ajracerex

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:32 AM

Wow thank you for the fast reply. I will definitely do that asap and update this when it's been done.

December, 9, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

Good luck

ajracerex

June, 23, 2012 AT 9:18 PM

I know it's a little late now, but better late than never. The problem turned out to be a throttle body gasket being bad.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma