SPEED SENSOR PROBLEM?

1996 Chevrolet Corsica

izutroo

November, 8, 2011 AT 4:32 AM

Car was leaking transmission fluid, corrected that by replacing gasket, filter, new fluid. Car ran great for last two days with no signs of further leakage. Tonight while driving down the highway I noticed I was losing speed, although car was still running, pressed down on the accelerator and nothing, engine revs but reacts like having car in neutral. As I slowed down I was able to get power to the wheels again while shifted in second and first gears, but in second it still seemed like it was in first and would not upshift to second. I also noticed the speedometer was not working while this was happening, Check Engine Light is on. Engine is 4 cylinder. When I got home, the transmission fluid is still filled and doesn't appear that I've lost any. Does this sound like it may be a speed sensor related issue?

saturntech9

November, 8, 2011 AT 4:44 AM

Lets start by you getting me the exact code numbers not code descriptions you have in the computer and we will go from there. Also do you have a multimeter?

November, 8, 2011 AT 9:49 AM

Sat, Sounds like he's talking about a misfire at no.4 cyl-P0304

saturntech9

November, 8, 2011 AT 4:30 PM

He said the car felt like it was in neutral no mention of miss fire and the speedometer was inop.I have never seen that car cause the speedometer to become inop. Iam going to wait and see what codes he say he actually has

izutroo

November, 8, 2011 AT 7:42 PM

Codes that came up were P0141 and P0441. I took the car out to check it again, and as far as position selectors park appears to work, reverse works, neutral works. Regardless if I have it in D S or L it will not shift out of first (L) and speedometer is inoperative.

izutroo

November, 8, 2011 AT 7:44 PM

Additional information there was no apparent misfiring, the engine was running smooth and continues to do so.

saturntech9

November, 8, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

Do you have the 2.2L or the 3.1L engine?

izutroo

November, 8, 2011 AT 8:52 PM

Sorry, it's the 2.2L 4 cylinder.

saturntech9

November, 8, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

The P0441 is evap system incorrect purge flow and the P0141 is HO2S heater circuit sensor 2. Both codes have nothing to do with the transmission or speedometer. Are you sure those are the only codes you have?Also are you sure nothing got damaged with your repairs?You went over all that work you did?

saturntech9

November, 8, 2011 AT 9:20 PM

Also ae you sure the code reader you used reads transmission codes also?

izutroo

November, 8, 2011 AT 9:22 PM

The reader only showed the two codes I shared. The replacement of the gasket and filter was pretty straight forward. I drove the car after the repairs for several days with no visible leaks. So everything looked fine and seemed to operate well until last night.