KNOCKING SOUND COMING FROM THE REAR DRIVING SIDE

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

elijah71687

April, 22, 2012 AT 12:55 PM

My 1996 chevy cavalier has a knocking sound coming from the rear driving side and it only does it while going forward. It also feels like the tire is locking up or dragging. What could be the problem

Ive took the tire off but im afraid the mess with the brakes as I feel it might have thrown a shoe or something.

mhpautos

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:02 PM

If you are at any way in doubt about dismantling to inspect, take the car slowly and carefully to your mechanic for a full inspection. If the noise in there on bumpy roads and not under braking, I feel it will be suspension related and not brakes.

elijah71687

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:07 PM

No bumpy road at all, the sound only happends when going forward. And like I said it feels like the tire is locking up alittle. Do you think it could be the bearing?

mhpautos

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:18 PM

May be a brake as you indicated, carefully remove the drum and inspect, you should See if anything is amiss.

elijah71687

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:21 PM

Also my ebrake light has been on for awhile as well as my abs light, when itake the drum off whatt should I be looking for? And do you feel like maby I just threw a shoe/pad?

mhpautos

April, 23, 2012 AT 2:48 AM

May be a broken spring I will see if I can find a pic to post, as for the ABS go get a scan done and see what code is set.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma