CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS STILL ACTIVE

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

jonesfernando662

November, 25, 2010 AT 10:23 PM

I went back to autozone to clear the codes p0172 (maf sensor code) which I have cleaned it, code p0441(purge solenoid) which I have replaced along with the hose, and code p1441(gas cap) which I have also replaced. Now I smell gas, my car cuts off in reverse, and it stubbles a time or two. What should I do before it causes more serious faults, and get my check engine light off?

Dr Loot

November, 26, 2010 AT 5:50 AM

Didn't I answer you already? Remember I am the mop up man, I go through the site and respond to all the questions that no one else can.

jonesfernando662

November, 27, 2010 AT 12:29 AM

Yes but you asked me to go back to autozone and have them reset the check engine light, or have them read the codes which was done the first time and it still has the same faults.

Dr Loot

November, 27, 2010 AT 2:13 AM

I forgive you for attempted manipulation. As I read your posts that would be impossible because you stated "which was done the first time and it still has the same faults" unless you repair the issue and then had the codes clear I would understand, but according to my understanding you went to AutoZone they told you the codes and erase them. You drove home repair the problems but how do you know the computer did not reset the codes on the way home before the repair?

jonesfernando662

November, 27, 2010 AT 3:32 AM

Ok you are absolutely correct and speaking of the problem at hand I recently left another auto store and hand another diagnostic done for second confirmation and now my car still continues to run rich in bank 1 and focuses on my o2 sensor.I have 4 o2 sensors, two before the catalytic converter and two after. Please could you tell me which one is in connection with bank 1 so I can change it? 4.3L v8 ENGINE

Dr Loot

November, 27, 2010 AT 4:17 AM

It's OK relax, Bank one is the right side that would be the passengers side.

Dr Loot

November, 27, 2010 AT 5:17 AM

99% of the time it is the rear oxygen sensor, if you like you can reverse them by putting the forward one on the rear and the rear on the front. See if that fixes the problem without buying an oxygen sensor.