96 CHEV CAPRICE, ENGINE CRANK AND VIBRATE

• polo
  • 1996 Chevrolet Caprice
  • automatic

1. When enbine is cold and speed slow around 30 ml.
after car warms up, speed 50-60 ml, it seems runs better in high way.
2. Engine lights was on.
3. When I drove around city, I feel like the engine going to die and loosing power, engine vibrate very bad. Speed was slow.
4. Is it possible what they call distributer problem?

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 12:38 AM

• Wrenchtech

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 12:56 AM
  • polo

Chev dealer found codes P0300 Missfire requires tune up and opti spark.
I would like you give me more info for my problem. On the safe side, is better not driving at all untill I get fix? Around $1900? What is your opinion? Thanks

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 1:28 AM
  • Wrenchtech

That would make sense but sounds a little on the expensive side. It would not be good to drive it too much this way as it will do damage to the catalytic Converter.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 1:32 AM
  • polo

Is it better sale the car? Or fix it in high price? What is your pro opinion? Thanks.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:05 AM
  • Wrenchtech

I wouldn't sell the car because you won't get much in that condition but I might get a second estimate from another shop and compare prices.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:08 AM
  • polo

We did "Just ask. Com" one time for this car, they explain very detail and also have car diagram for us for all the detail, we get problem solved.
Thanks for your time, but I feel like no progress for the soituation.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:13 AM
  • Wrenchtech

I don't know what your expecting from me. You asked for advice on your problem and got it. You don't plan on repairing this yourself so what what diagrams would you be looking for?

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:19 AM
  • polo

Sir: are you doing one time charge or do you charge each time when you gave me the answer?

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:41 AM
  • Wrenchtech

I don't charge at all. If you gave a voluntary donation, it went to the site to help keep it running. Nothing is mandatory. I am just here trying to help people in my spare time.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:45 AM
  • polo

Thank you very much for your kindness. Not many people will doing for free. We did donation for $8 to you. We hope just one time donation. Budget is very tight, thank you for understanding.

Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 2:55 AM