WHAT SHOULD I DO FIRST?

1996 Chevrolet Blazer

ToryM39

March, 19, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer. When I accelerate or make a turn, it's loud and a little rough. I was told I might need an alternator belt, tune up, oil change, etc. It has been sitting for a while so I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but Im looking for advice as to where to start. Could it possibly be engine or transmission issues?

Changing Drive Belt

rivermikerat

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:31 PM

How long has it been sitting? Anything more than a few days, I would definitely at least change the oil. Check the alternator belt by twisting it. You shouldn't be able to twist it much beyond 180 degrees. While doing so, look at it. Any cracking means "replace me".
Check compression. Should be around 100PSI minimum and vary by no more than 15 PSI from high to low. Check the bolts of the exhaust system. Listen to the exhaust system gaskets. See if any of the hangers are missing, broken, or worn.

March, 19, 2012 AT 5:31 PM

It depends where at and the type of noise its emitting

Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML