LIFTERS CHATTERING SHOULD I BE ABLE TO PUSH THE CENTER DOWN WITH A FINGER

1996 Buick Regal

Firemnted

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

3800-2 Engine rebuilt about 3500-3700 miles ago. I did not replace the cam or lifters. The cam checked out like new The lifters in question are Intake and exhaust cylinders 1, 3 and exhaust on cylinder 5 all other lifters can not be pushed in by hand all lifters had a lot of oil around the oiler hole the push rods and the rocker arms on the ones in question had very little oil in the push rod and on the top on the rocker arm.

djcl

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:48 AM

YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PUSH THEM IN BY HAND.

Firemnted

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:49 AM

Is that strange they all went at the same time?

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:58 PM

If you have an oil pressure fault, they can all fail at once.

Firemnted

July, 11, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

Oil pressure is 54 PSI at idle

July, 12, 2012 AT 7:55 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant was that if there are restrictions in the oil passage for the camshaft in question.

Firemnted

July, 13, 2012 AT 12:24 AM

Do you know what the upper intake toque is!

Firemnted

July, 13, 2012 AT 1:52 AM

There are no restrictions that I can see the cam bearings and the cam were put in by the machine shop! I just put new lifters in it and I think I have one making noise it doesn't chatter as badly as before but it gets louder as I raise the RPM's and oil pressure is 60!

July, 13, 2012 AT 1:20 PM

If the engine had only been started for a short period of time, the chatter would be ther. You need some time for the HLA to self bleed before they would work correctly.

Firemnted

July, 13, 2012 AT 11:45 PM

I just ran the car for 15 Min and the tap is not going away! I had almost 4000 miles on the rebuild before this all started. I just replaced the lifters last night and now its not as bad but still tapping and it has a code for cylinder 4 misfire which is what I got before! Could I have the oil hoe in the lifter the wrong direction or dosn't it matter in this application?

July, 14, 2012 AT 1:56 PM

The oil hose dose not matter as long as you have not installed the lifters upsidedown which I believe is not likely to happen.

It takes at least 30 minutes or more of running time if you had not pre-bled the lifters slightly initially.

Try blipping the throttle. It would expedite the self bleeding.

The misfire could be due to spark plugs and related components. Let the engine run till the noise level drops and then clear the troubl code and retest.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars