HEAT SINK GREASE OR DIELECTRIC GREASE?

1996 Buick Regal

thekidinbuff

October, 8, 2012 AT 7:33 PM

I am replacing my ignition control module in my car. This is my second time replacing it because when I replaced it before, im guessing that it failed again because I didnt put any grease inbetween the connections. And it overheated. I wasnt aware of this till now. My question is what is the difference between Heat Sink Grease and dielectric grease? What one should I use, if not both, and where should I put the grease? Under neath the module and on the prongs the coils sit on or what? Any info would help. Thank you in advance.

October, 8, 2012 AT 8:20 PM

Dielectric grease is the recommended one and it should be put inbetween the connector and pins. It is for keeping out moisture as well.

Heat sink grease helps to provide better conductivity but might not be a good idea with so many terminals so near to each other.

thekidinbuff

October, 15, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

Should I put it on the whole back of the module or just where the transistors are?

thekidinbuff

October, 15, 2012 AT 8:12 PM

And im talking about putting heat sink grease on the back of the module

October, 15, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

They are supposed to be applied on the transistors.

Replace Ignition Control Module