I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT MY CATALYTIC CONVERTER HAS...

1996 Acura TL

dms1008

December, 26, 2012 AT 3:11 PM

I firmly believe that my catalytic converter has become clogged due to driving the car around for years with bad O2 sensors. I went the cheapo way and bought a cat from ebay. I think im pretty mechanically inclined since I have done a few repair jobs on my car myself such as replacing the alternator, replacing a bad serpentine belt on my A/C compressor, and changing my valve cover gasket along with a few other things. I was wondering if anyone could help with directions as to replace my catalytic converter. (The front one that comes directly from my exhaust manifold). And yes the cat I bought came with new studs, washers, and bolts since according my brother shops tend to break these when trying to get old cats off. Just looking for some information before I can decide if this is something I can tackle in my garage rather than spending another $200 just in labor costs at a shop. Thanks in Advance!

dms1008

December, 26, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

And this is an Acura 2.5 TL

December, 26, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

Yes, you can do this at home

bolt off and bolt on. Make sure it is sealed at both ends.

dms1008

December, 26, 2012 AT 4:31 PM

OK just checking. Ive pulled my car up on ramps to look and its looks like a very tight spot. Im questioning my access to all the bolts on the top of the cat behind the manifold.

December, 26, 2012 AT 4:54 PM

Use a universal with your extension. Spray up the bolts real good

dms1008

December, 29, 2012 AT 7:56 PM

Ok I'm not sure if I have the right part. I think my car has 2 catalytic converters. The one directly after the exhausts manifold is the one I thought I would need to replace. Fact is I'm not sure which one I need to replacree but the cat I just bought is the one further down the flex pipe which is very accessible. So I guess my question is would the cat in question to be clogged would I be more likely the one directly after manifold or downstream one?

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500