BRAKES/MASTER CYLINDER

1995 Volkswagen GTI

vr6devil

July, 23, 2012 AT 6:10 PM

First off we are trying every angle to solve this issue: Lost brake pedal pressure- Brake pedal was losing pressure and occasionally going to the floor before giving any complete stopping power. I was able to pump it a bit to get some push back on the pedal.
Bled the brakes yesterday-- There was quite a bit of air coming from the 4 lines. This made it worse! The pedal now completely goes to the floor before giving any stopping pressure. Pumping gives a smidge of push, but nothing in comparison as before.
While bleeding the brakes, I was pouring the fluid in to maintain the balance. There was a air leaking sound when the pedal was pushed down.

Could this be something as simple as the break booster grommet(s) being bad and needing replaced? Or am I looking at a more serious issue?

July, 23, 2012 AT 6:41 PM

Did you replace the master cylinder? If not, it sounds like it has failed and needs to be replaced.

vr6devil

July, 23, 2012 AT 6:47 PM

That is our next step. We're purchasing a used one and hoping for the best.

July, 23, 2012 AT 7:06 PM

Forget the used one and get a new or reman. You will end up with the same issue

vr6devil

July, 23, 2012 AT 7:17 PM

I don't have the funds for new or reman, if I did, I'd go that route.

July, 23, 2012 AT 7:21 PM

Ok, good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet