Idles rough and check engine light comes on

ANONYMOUS
  • 1995 TOYOTA TERCEL
Idles rough and check engine light comes on.

speed up the gas and the engine over 1100 and it runs good and sounds good vehicle drives good but rough idles at the stop light like it is wants to stall.
i have replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires. Also pcv valve. I have replaced an egr vacuum solenoid
Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 4:04 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Check for vacuum leaks.

What is the code for the check engine light?

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 9:58 AM
FUTUREAMERICAN
Did you ever find the cause? I am Having the exact same problem. Rough idle and better at if idle higher rpms. Seems to want to stall at the stop light or when I stop.
Monday, August 19th, 2013 AT 6:16 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, take some carb cleaner and spray around the intake manifold and see if the engine speed changes or smooths out. Intake manifold gaskets are common failures on the old Toyotas.

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 AT 1:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
Mike asked me to pop in on the question you looking at retrieving codes manually without a scan tool.I looked it up and it shows a Obd2 connector scan tool retrieval only. Is your connector inside the car to the lower left of your steering column and it has 16pins?
Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 AT 2:02 PM
FUTUREAMERICAN
I checked for vacuum leaks. I did not see any. I didn't try the carb cleaner, but I will. I am trying to fix a line that broke on it while I was inspecting it. This will continue when I fix the hose soon.

I did see 2 plugs that could possibly be for the diagnostics. 1 is where you mentioned, under the steering wheel to the left a hair, inside a little panel. Another one is inside the engine compartment, top left Side. Directly in front of the steering wheel. It has a black rubber cover on it. So which plug is it? What do I do next?
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 9:30 AM
FUTUREAMERICAN
One more thing. It does have 16 pins for the plug inside left of steering column. It does not look like all slots have pins though.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 9:31 AM
SATURNTECH9
The one inside is where you need to hook up a obd2 scan tool reader to retrieve codes let me know the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 2:12 PM
FUTUREAMERICAN
I wanted to add one more thing I forgot to mention. I have been told that obd 2 is for 1996 vehicles and newer. My car is a 1995 Toyota tercel? Not sure if you guys are mistaken. Is it still a obd 2?
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 7:04 PM
FUTUREAMERICAN
The plug in the engine bay states "diagnostic" on the cover to the plug.
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 AT 11:30 AM
SATURNTECH9
Is that over on the passenger side?
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 AT 12:29 PM
FUTUREAMERICAN
The plug that says "diagnostic " is by the brake reservoir on the drivers side firewall inside the engine compartment.
The plug that everyone thinks is the one that is utilized, and is used for obd 2 is to the left of the steering column, inside a fuse panel near by the hood latch release, under the dashboard. It would be by your left knee if you we're sitting in the drivers seat.
Hope this helps.
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 AT 5:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
Try the instructions I posted to see if you can retrieve the codes that way.
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 AT 5:26 PM