THREW A ROD

1995 Toyota Celica

glosflowers

April, 26, 2012 AT 11:34 PM

Oil plug was not tight while I drove 400 miles. I returned to the shop. The car was leaking oil. After 2000 miles of driving my car threw a rod. Shop insists it was "Isolated bearing Failure" I this possible If the engine was in the best condition?

April, 26, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

How much oil did it leak out?

glosflowers

April, 26, 2012 AT 11:55 PM

2 quarts. The car had a small knock but quickly went away The engine threw a rod less than 2000 miles later. Firestone states that "Isolated Bearing Failure". Knowone seams to want to confirm that. Cant find anything on the internet

April, 27, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

You wont find anything on the internet.

2 qts in a 4 qt system is pretty low but there is sufficient oil to lube the motor.
Thats assuming that they told you the truth.

At this point, it will be very difficult to prove anything considering the amount of miles you went till the failure.

I am sorry, but I dont think you have a case here.

glosflowers

April, 27, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

The inspector says if it was due to lack of oil all of the pistons would be damaged. Not just the number one. It aslo damaged the crank shaft

April, 27, 2012 AT 12:03 AM

Lack of oil would take out the bearings first.

If you had a piston failure, it may have been from another reason.

glosflowers

April, 27, 2012 AT 12:12 AM

He said the bearing failed and shattered number 1 piston. At 80 mph I would say it can damage the crankshaft

April, 27, 2012 AT 12:39 AM

80 mph? If an arbitrator heard that, he would claim abuse of the motor and would never talk to you.

Pistons shatter for many reasons but in my 40 years, I have never heard of a bearing causing a pistons to shatter.

glosflowers

April, 27, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

He called it "Isolated Bearing Failure".

April, 27, 2012 AT 1:48 AM

Lack of oil would cause all the bearings to fail. How were the mains and the other rod bearings?

glosflowers

April, 27, 2012 AT 1:58 AM

"The number one rod was a material failure caused by metal fatigue and it caused the simultaneous secondary damage to the number one connecting rod and crankshaft. Continued operation after thr primary failure of the number one rod caused the number 1 connecting rod to break and compromised the engine cylinder block

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT