WHAT IS THIS ISSUE WITH MY SPEEDOMETER?

1995 Toyota Camry

hrobsky

June, 28, 2012 AT 1:22 PM

My speedometer started acting up yesterday on the way home from work. It still works, but the needle started jumping when I accelerated instead of increasing smoothly. The same thing happens when decelerating. In addition, instead of hovering over the speed I'm at, it will go slightly up or down sometimes. For example, if I'm going 60 mph, the speedometer would stay at 60 mph. Now, it jumps up to 62 and down to 58.

Erratic Speedometer

Speedometer

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:25 PM

Inspect and test the vehicle speed sensor-start here

June, 28, 2012 AT 8:40 PM

You could have a bad circuitry with the meter cluster.

June, 28, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

Sometimes there's 2 that Toy uses one on the cluster

hrobsky

July, 3, 2012 AT 4:38 AM

I also found out today that the cruise control doesn't work. If I try to put the cruise control on, the car accelerates and decelerates in a jerking manner. I've read that this could be a sign of a bad speed sensor. Is this true?

July, 3, 2012 AT 1:02 PM

Yes, the cruise control requires the speed sensor to be in working condition to operate. I believe the MIL is indicating and trouble code should be stored. Get a scan done to check for teouble codes and post them here.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement