WHEN ACCELERATING SLIGHT WHISTLING SOUND OCCURS

• sofibox
  • 1995 Toyota Camry

In the past month, my car has started to not accelerate as quickly as it once did & it has more recently started to sound like a fan/like it is whistling when I accelerate. No check engine lights or battery light is on & oil has been changed on a regular basis. I was looking online and wondering if it could be the intake manifold gaskets. Because the boise only occurs when I press the gas (whether I'm in neutral or drive) I am lead to believe it must be something to due with intake. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 1:08 AM

• mhpautos

Check that the intake hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body is not loose or cracked take it off and have a good look at it.

Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:04 AM
  • mmprince4000

Generally if the intake is leaking, the idle will be high due to vacuum leak.

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 1:13 PM
  • mhpautos

Only if the leak is on the engine side of throttle plate, if the air cleaner side it will not affect the idle but on the Camry it will not be metered air through the air flow meter, so this will affect performance.

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 1:51 PM