IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT AN OPEN FWD DIFFERENTIAL TO LSD?

1995 Suzuki Swift

sheldondj-dutchfalconer

October, 10, 2012 AT 4:51 AM

I expected both wheels to be locked via welding of the differential gears but was told that it would have given rise to some complications. So it was made to allow less slipping of the wheels.

caradiodoc

October, 10, 2012 AT 5:00 AM

You will never find a locking differential on the front of any vehicle because of the horrendous handling that would result when turning corners. There was a 4wd truck in the '60s that offered that, (I think it might have been a Jeep Wagoneer, or something like that), but it was understood you didn't drive that very fast on the highway.

I welded up the differential on the rear of a '72 Dodge Challenger used for racing, but it had to be street legal. It launched great but I could never get it to turn without sliding the back end. That wasn't something desirable on an asphalt race track.

October, 10, 2012 AT 8:22 AM

Is your engine so powerful that the tires are skidding?
DO you understand the principles and purpose of differentials and the physics of turning radius? If not you should not even be thinking of such stupid ideas.

Axle Seal Replacement
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250