THE BEARINGS ON THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE KEEP GOING OUT. WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS?

1995 Subaru Legacy

Kim58

October, 21, 2011 AT 1:56 AM

We have replaced the bearings on the front passenger side twice, and we think they went out again yesterday. There is a thumping noise coming from the front of the car and you can feel it. We have checked the tire rod ends, ball joints, and the tires.

mhpautos

October, 28, 2011 AT 11:11 PM

If the bearings are not set in correctly or they are damaged by the pressing on the inner race when fitting they will fail, they must be pressed in square only by the outer race and the drive shaft must be torqued up correctly as well.

saturntech9

October, 28, 2011 AT 11:24 PM

Jack up the front the car with both front tires off the ground put the car on jack stands. Then put the transmission in neutral then put one hand on the front coil spring then spin the tire as fast as you can with the other hand. If the front bearing is bad you will be able to feel it in the coil spring. Compare the left to the right. Let me know what you find.

October, 29, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

STUPID QUESTIONS

ARE YOU LUBRICATING THE NEW BEARINGS?---DO YOU KNOW THE BEST TECHNIQUES?

I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT YOUR CAR,

DO YOU HAVE A REFERENCE TO GO BY?

WHAT PROCEDURE ARE YOU USING TO PRE-LOAD THE BEARINGS?

fixitmr

October, 29, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

First, if you dont use a QUALITY bearing, the chances are it will fail early! And I actually prefer a scrap yard (OEM) bearing in spindel tested by me(spin it, is it silky smooth without even a HINT of imperfection) to new cause it's easier to install and no chance of screwing up install and making it fail early! Bad install can cause early fail also.

October, 29, 2011 AT 6:21 PM

Inspect the driveaxle CV Joints and Boots

Replace Ball Joints Like a Pro
Replace Tie Rod End
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Upper Control Arm Replacement