I SWAPPED OUT A 1.8 ENGINE FOR A 2.2 ON MY 95 AND NOW IT IDLES ROUGH?

1995 Subaru Impreza

hopeamber

April, 15, 2012 AT 4:05 PM

I am going to try the cheap fixes first (injection cleaning, plugs & wires) but wondered if the coil packs make a difference because they look bigger in pictures of the 2.2

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

fixitmr

April, 15, 2012 AT 4:12 PM

Try disconnecting each plug wire 1 at a time to see how it effects idle. Check for any vacuum leaks. Where did you get 2.2? Did you hear it run before change?

hopeamber

May, 26, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

@fixitmr Thank you for the speedy reply. To answer one part of your response, we have DEFINITELY checked for any and all possible vacuum leaks; found one small line that was disconnected but after reconnecting it, no change at all. We have yet to try your suggestion of disconnecting each plug wire to check for any idle changes but thanks for the great suggestion. I will mention that this is actually my co-workers' vehicle, I tend to have more free time for investigating as he has a daughter and two jobs. We both work at a quick lube oil chain and are level B mechanics. Although Jason is "thee" definition of mechanically inclined and can fix almost anything while my female brain grasps the scientific aspect and book smarts end of auto mechanics (working towards my ASE & Jay just got a shop boy/training job, a great opportunity! But, blahbadee blah: ) He said he heard the 2.2 before the swap and the idle was fine. I was just thinking that the coil pack on the 2.2 would be bigger and deliver more energy, possibly causing the idle issues. Tends to run high, we tried adjusting idle and couldn't get it to stay around 1, it'd be fine until tightening down bolt, then would bog back down to 500rpms, sounding like it was stalling out. Or if we set idle at 1500-2000 Rome, then tightened bolt, it wouldn't kick down by 500rpms like earlier but instead stayed at too high of an idle (but maybe better than choking out?) I profusely apologize in advance if I sound green or like an idiot but like I said, still learning & trying to help a best friend out. Thanks for your time (reading a freakin novella!)
Amber