IDLES ROUGH WHEN IN DRIVE

1995 Saturn SL2

hublizzy

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:13 PM

When in drive the car idles really rough and bounces from about 500 to 1000, when taking off from a stop sign it accelerates very rough until about 3500-4000 rpm and then is fine is this possibly a vacuum leak?

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

saturntech9

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:17 PM

The first thing I need from you is if you have any codes?You could have a sticking egr valve or something else lets start with the codes. Do you know how to retrive the codes?

hublizzy

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:19 PM

The check engine light is not on, but I have not checked to see if any codes would come up since the light is not on

saturntech9

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:22 PM

You could have a could have a vacuum leak bad coolant temp sensor etc.I would start by seeing if there are any codes might lead you right to the problem. Do you know how to retrive codes on your car?

hublizzy

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:24 PM

Not really no. The coolant temp light and low coolant level light is on but when I check the coolant and the temp gauge it is fine. Would the coolant temp sensor make it run rough like that?

saturntech9

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:48 PM

If your coolant level is up to the seam of the bottle and the light is still on then the first thing I would check is the back up light fuse in your under hood fuse box see if its blown. If it is blown it will make that light stand on. If its not blown then unplug the coolant level switch in the bottom of the coolant bottle jump the two terminals on the harness together then cycle the key start it up see if the light goes out you have a bad coolant bottle. As far as the running goes a bad coolant temp sensor can cause overheating surging high idles no starts hard starts dieing while driving all kinds of different symptoms you could have any number of these symptoms just one or more then one. Again I would start with reading the codes. Follow the instructions I posted and let me know the code numbers you get. If the low coolant light flashes while retriving codes then get those codes from that light also those will be your transmission codes. Let me know what you find.

hublizzy

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:50 PM

Awesome thank you, I will let you know as soon as possible. Your help is greatly appreciated

saturntech9

July, 11, 2011 AT 7:52 PM

Your welcome keep me posted.