Can't figure it out

BIGBEAR67
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Here's the run down.

95'
Pontiac
Grand Am SE 4-door
3.1 (3100) V6
170,000
Front wheel drive

Here's what happened.

Car stalled (in the middle of nowhere) I stop, check it out.
Coolant bottle was empty, Oil level VERY HIGH (mud). Got a blown gasket !
I let cool, then drove it a couple miles back to the main road. Got a tow from there home.

Took it apart, found blown gasket between intake(lower) manifold and rear head. Took heads off too.
(Found some stuff on the net about this gasket was a bad design and there was a class action lawsuit sometime ago.)

Took the heads to a machine shop, they checked both for cracks, no cracks. They found 3 bad valves, 2 exhaust and 1 intake, all on the rear head. They replaced 2 exhaust and repaired the intake valve. Ground and seated all.
They resurfaced heads.

I put it back together with new gaskets throughout.
Car runs (barely) on three cylinders or so, with gas pedal almost all the way down. Valves seem loud.

Spark plug wires are in correct order, electrical plugs are all conneted, and all hoses. Things were torqued down right.

There's the story, I'm not sure what to do now !

Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 1:57 PM

Make sure that you have the pushrods on the right valves. The intake pushrods are shorter than the exaust ones. Also make sure your intake is tight an dnot vacuum leaks as well as injectors properly connected.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 2:14 PM