LOCATION OF TRANSMISSION MODEL NUMBER.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville

Sj

I need to replace the transmission in my 1995 Bonneville. I checked at a salvage yard and they told me they needed the model number. Where do I find the model number on my old tranny? Thanks

saturntech9

Its a 4T60E transmission its 1995 bonneville and 1995 pontaic transports that use that transmission.I looked it up under the non super charged 3.8L engine.

Sj

Ok thank you. Now, I need to get my car out of the garage to have it towed to a friends place, but it won't even go into neutral. How do I move it!

saturntech9

January, 7, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

Whats the story why wont it go into neutral?

Sj

January, 7, 2012 AT 3:27 AM

The transmission just went out and it won't even go into neutral? I even had my 23 yr old son try to help push it. It won't go into any gear. Could it be another problem?

Sj

January, 7, 2012 AT 7:09 AM

I was having trouble with my steering column before this all happened, is there any change it's that and not my transmission?

Thanks again, Shirley

saturntech9

So if you try to shift from park to reverse or neutral what happens the shifter is just stuck in park?

saturntech9

What kind of problem are you having with your steering column?

Sj

When I shift the steering column does moved just fine and I can hear or feel it trying to go into gear. Yet the car itself does not move. Just last saturday I had my son try to push it so I could get it out of my garage. He pushed and pushed (while I had it in neutral) and finally it moved and we backed it out of the garage. Then just for the heck of it I put it into drive and it moved forward. I put it back in neutral and then drive and again it moved forward, but would not go in reverse. Then I put it back in park and tried drive again but it would not go into drive or neutral again. The problem I had been having with the steering column was that it didn't want to go into park. I had to juggle and push the shifter to get it into park. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't go into any gear and I was told that it was the transmission. So now I just wonder if it's really the transmission or steering linkage. Thanks!

saturntech9

Sounds like the transmission If the linkage on the transmission is moving and following the shifter then I would say its the transmission. Not going intop park was probably the transmission binding internally. Is the fluid in the transmission full?What color is the fluid?

Sj

I just checked the transmission fluid and it looks fine. Clear and red. I just had the car serviced a few months ago. Thanks again!

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Muffler