HELLO, I HAVE A 1995 NISSAN QUEST. LOW PRESSURE WHEN THE ENGINE IS FULLY WARMED UP.

• Gibbyy
  • 1995 Nissan Quest
  • 166 miles

Hello, I have a 1995 Nissan Quest. Low pressure when the engine is fully warmed up. Oil light comes on and engine lifters clacking. After start up when cold the oil pressure is fine, but the lifters do clack a tiny bit. Oil level is good and filter is new. I removed the oil pan and found allot of sludge in the pan. I removed the oil pump and the oil pump gears appear to be in good shape with no excessive wear. The relief valve and spring seemed to be ok. Do you think it could be the sludge in the pan started to plug up the inlet screen, bad oil pump, or excessive bearing clearances? I am considering replacing the rod bearings and maybe the oil pump. Thanks for the help!

Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

• fixitmr

If expense is not an issue I would clean pan and replace oil pump. And use a high detergent oil.

Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 12:44 AM
  • Gibbyy

Yes I will Def clean the pan. Why do you recommend replacing the oil pump? Thanks for the reply:)

Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 1:03 AM
  • fixitmr

Just a suggestion have you taken a rod cap off to check wear? I mean usually with a knocking rod the oil light is not on for engines I have experienced it with. I know on some old chryslers mitsi's the wrong oil filter would make oil pressure 0!

Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 2:03 AM
  • Gibbyy

Yes I did remove and check a rod bearing. Slight/normal wear but not excessive. The engine had no rod knock at all.

Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 2:11 AM