SPEEDO DOESN'T WORK ALL OF THE TIME.

• wtreads
  • 1995 Nissan Altima

1995 altima 135k, speedo doesn't work all of the time. It is either fine, or sits at zero. When speedo doesn't wor, neither does the cruise. First thing I did was replace the speed sensor, no luck. I then hooked up my OBDII reader because it also reads mph. As long as the speedo is working, I get an accurate readout, zero readout when the speedo isn't reading. Does this mean the ECM is bad, or could it be somthing else? Everything seems to work fine after the engine has warmed up a little, and stays working until you shut it off and let it sit for a while.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012 AT 10:28 PM

• saturntech9

Do you have any codes in the computer?

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 12:47 AM
  • mhpautos

Check for loose, dirty or corroded terminals at the speed sensor plug, I have had one or two go bad there on me over the years.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 7:26 AM
  • wtreads

No codes are being thrown. I found one post on the Nissan forum that say's it could be the connector behind the speedo cluster. I changed the speed sensor on the top of the trans and sprayed the connectors on the wire, nothing changed. I think the next thing I will try is pulling out the cluster today and checking that, that doesn't seem to be too difficult.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 2:02 PM
  • saturntech9

When the speedo cuts out try smacking the dash above the cluster see if the speedo starts working again?

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 9:17 PM
  • wtreads

Success! I removed the instrument cluster and disconnected all of the plugs. I then slightly loosened and then retightened all of the screws. Then I lightly sprayed all of the sockets and plugs with PBJ. Put everything back together an everything works great. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome that's what were here for glad to hear of your success.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 10:51 PM
  • danielalmirantearena

So glad to run into this thread. My 95 Altima is having the same exact issues. I've cleaned behind the cluster, unscrewed the connections, and replaced the speed sensor. I've even switched out the cluster with one I found from a salvage yard. Nothing changed. Never thought to clean the connectors though. I'm curious about PBJ. What product is that? I have a can of PB penetrating magnetic lubricant. Is that the same? Any help would be great.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 9:04 PM
  • saturntech9

Its a penetrate no.A contact cleaner get a good contact cleaner. Did you try smacking above the cluster when the speedo is inop?

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 4:30 AM