THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN EVERYTIME THE CAR IS ON REVERSE MODE WHEN I APPLY BREAK

1995 Mitsubishi Galant

paulo1430

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:04 AM

I have an automatic transmission, when I put the gear on reverse the engine shut down every time I try to slow it down or apply break.I tried to adjust idle by making it high but its still the same.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

rivermikerat

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:25 AM

Take it to a shop and have it scanned for codes. Both soft codes (no check engine light) and hard codes. See if they can give you info concerning live data.

mattylad

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:12 PM

The TPS / Idle position switch settings need to be adjusted first, this will need a computer, the throttle body does not actually have an idle screw, it's called SAS (service adjustment screw) so if you've moved that then the stepper motor will also need setting to spec. Any good old school mitsubishi tech should be able to do this in under an hour.

rivermikerat

October, 18, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

It's an idle air adjustment screw. Mitsubishi may call it something else, but the industry normally calls it the idle air adjustment, as it adjust the amount of air entering the engine at idle.

mattylad

October, 18, 2011 AT 6:56 PM

I know what it is, and if you screw it in the revs will drop until the ECU compensates for the low revs by expanding the stepper motor and visa versa, if you just wind it in or out either way the stepper will compensate as much as it can, it is NOT an idle air adjustment screw!

rivermikerat

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

Ok. If you say so. But WE'VE been calling them idle air control or idle air adjustment screws for about 30 years.

mattylad

October, 19, 2011 AT 5:09 PM

I know what your talking about exactly. Time to move into the modern age for some I guess. If you call a 95 Galant modern. Ive worked on mitsubishi for 20 years, think I know what im talking about in this case.

mattylad

October, 20, 2011 AT 5:43 PM

I know what an idle air adjustment screw is, but it does not apply in this case, I trust you have extensive knowledge of mitsubishi to be questioning me? Ive got the last 20 years on them myself, Senoir tech, Master tech, advansed diagnostic and electrics, Ralliart advanced etc etc. Any how, your wittering is not helping this lad with his car, I suggest you post a decisive answer as I have or bow down.

rivermikerat

October, 21, 2011 AT 7:06 AM

Test post.