MX-6 GOT FLOODED AND NOW WONT START

1995 Mazda MX6

2CarPros-Archives

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:41 PM

1995 Mazda MX-6 mileage: 65,000. Hurricane Irene hit my area  two days ago, and my car was flooded, water rose to about the door handles. I have moved the car to dry ground, but it won't start. When I turn the key the starter is engaging but the engine feels like its stuck in the position its in. Is there anything I can do if water is in my engine?

2CarPros-Archives

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:43 PM

Check the engine oil for water and also the gas tank. Change the oil if necessary. If the engine will not crank over as if it is frozen, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand to remove the water from the cylinders. Dry out the ignition system, spark plugs, coil, etc. On your engine are several sensors that feed information to the computer. Remove the connectors and dry them out. If the computer got wet, try drying it but be prepared to replace it.

fixitmr

November, 23, 2010 AT 7:52 PM

I've squirted the water out of my cylinders before by removing plugs and cranking the starter.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test