I HAVE A 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE WITH RECENTLY ...

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Anonymous

November, 16, 2012 AT 12:24 AM

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with recently replaced plugs, wires, battery, vehicle speed sensor, and cleaned idle air control module. It starts and runs smoothly, with a steady idle. When I move the shifter into drive, the rpms drop quickly and it dies immediately. No issues with reverse only drive. I have no check engine light. I recently discovered that if I put one foot on the brake, and keep the rpm above 1000, when I shift into drive it will not stall. Any ideas?

caradiodoc

November, 16, 2012 AT 5:22 AM

The Engine Computer lost its memory when the battery was disconnected and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

VSS Sensor Replacement Video