95 INIFINITI G20T RUNNING 3 CYLINDERS?

• MNeagle2012
  • 1995 Infiniti G20
  • manual

I drive a 95 Infiniti g20. It is a 5 speed manual and I bought it only a few months ago with approx. 144000 miles. Today I was driving and almost killed it in 1st gear while just seeing the green light. (First close encounter in forever). I then pushed down on the accelerator in order for it not to die on me and immediately sensed a problem. Driving it seemed to show I was running on only 3 cylinders until hitting about 2000 rpms when it seemed all four cylinders went back into use. I struggled to keep the car alive for my 15 minute trip back home. I'd liketo know what the cause of this may be, if it was me who caused it in the first place? And what the problem could be now with a solution? I've gotten an opinion from the original owner and he says possibly bad spark plug/ wires?

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 5:43 AM

• fixitmr

Does it misfire at idle?

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 9:04 PM
  • MNeagle2012

Yes at idle it falls and rises frequently in rpms and u can tell it's only using 3 cylinders til you hit about 2500 rpm when it starts to drive like normal

Sunday, February 13th, 2011 AT 4:40 AM
  • fixitmr

Are you 1 of these guys that downshifts to stops? And you almost killed the motor by not pushing in clutch because light changed? I'm not clear on what happened exactly.

Sunday, February 13th, 2011 AT 10:16 AM
  • MNeagle2012

I don't downshift to stop but what happened was I almost killed it when just starting to go after the light. I then pushed in the accelerator to save it and the car very slowly got up to speed before I was able to drive normally again. This same thing happened when I upshifted and the car would slowly accelerate until hitting about 2500 rpms when at that point it began to run fine. You can just tell that when driving it with less than 2500 rpms there is a huge lack of power

Sunday, February 13th, 2011 AT 5:28 PM