WHY WON'T OBD LINK WITH TRUCK?

1995 GMC Sonoma

billsr

I'm trying to check on the VSS for my truck, and when the scan tool is plugged in to the ALDL, it keeps showing " linking error". We've tried two different scan tools and can't get a code. Any ideas?

Docfixit

Using OBDI scanner?

billsr

Hi Docfixit,
The scanner tool is my neighbor's and he is at work now so I can't check. He tried 2 different ones and neither will link up. Would a OBDI scanner be used on this model and year? Or does it need a different one. I'm not the mechanic here; I've referred to the Haynes manual and my neighbor who does all the mechanical stuff.
I thought my trani was going out because of a jerking into gear that started recently. He said he had a similar problem with his Dodge and it turned out to be the VSS.

saturntech9

Just to add this one being a 1995 gm truck does it have the 12 pin obd1 connector or the 16 pin obd1.5 hybrid connector?If it has the hybrid connector a generic scan tool may have trouble reading it. Especially if its a obd2 scanner that may plug in if it has the 16pin connector but wont read.