WHY WON'T OBD LINK WITH TRUCK?

• billsr
  • 1995 GMC Sonoma

I'm trying to check on the VSS for my truck, and when the scan tool is plugged in to the ALDL, it keeps showing " linking error". We've tried two different scan tools and can't get a code. Any ideas?

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 6:51 PM

• Docfixit

Using OBDI scanner?

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 6:55 PM
  • billsr

Hi Docfixit,
The scanner tool is my neighbor's and he is at work now so I can't check. He tried 2 different ones and neither will link up. Would a OBDI scanner be used on this model and year? Or does it need a different one. I'm not the mechanic here; I've referred to the Haynes manual and my neighbor who does all the mechanical stuff.
I thought my trani was going out because of a jerking into gear that started recently. He said he had a similar problem with his Dodge and it turned out to be the VSS.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 7:15 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add this one being a 1995 gm truck does it have the 12 pin obd1 connector or the 16 pin obd1.5 hybrid connector?If it has the hybrid connector a generic scan tool may have trouble reading it. Especially if its a obd2 scanner that may plug in if it has the 16pin connector but wont read.

Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 7:42 PM