CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ENGINE SPUTERING

• valhoelscher
  • 1995 GMC Jimmy

I have a 1995 gmc jimmy. It just threw a check engine light. The computer doesn't work right, so I can't get the check engine light read. It is an intermittent light. I shut my truck off and turn it back on the light goes away. Some times it comes back some times it doesn't. When the check engine light comes on the engine is sputtering. The best way for me to explain it is it is acting like an older car that has fouled a plug. It sounds like it isn't running on all cylinders. Sometimes when I first start it it will sputter like I explained but no check engine light will come on and after driving a short distance it will start running fine.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

• saturntech9

So what's wrong with your computer that you can't get the codes?

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 10:12 PM
  • valhoelscher

I don't know but when the computer is hooked up it doesn't show any codes. I've had this vehicle a long time and I've never been able to get codes read.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 10:16 PM
  • saturntech9

How many pins does the computer connector have 12 or 16 pins?

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 10:20 PM
  • valhoelscher

16

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 11:02 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright you have what's called a hybrid connector obd 1.5 the 16 pin wasn't fully in effect till 1996. So the pre 1996 gm cars and trucks with a 16 pin connector most of the basic scan tools I know of wont read those cars and trucks codes. You need to find a shop with a tech1 tech2 or more advanced scan tool that can read the codes with the hybrid connectors. Lets start there with the codes that will lead us in the right direction. Let me know the exact code numbers and not code descriptions. This might be a tough one since you have the hybrid connector and the scan tools wouldn't be cheap to buy a scan tool to help you repair it.

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 AT 1:04 AM
  • valhoelscher

Thanks I'll try to get the codes read

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 AT 1:58 AM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep me posted.

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 AT 4:44 AM