FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1995 GMC Jimmy

kvn4

April, 2, 2012 AT 1:54 PM

95 GMC JIMMY 256885 miles 4.3 vtec had erratic idle for couple of days. Cleaned iac valve this am now have crank no start. Checked fuel pressure koeo 60psi then drops to zero after 2 sec. A/c delco fuel pump put in 8months ago was getting tps code also. No start

djcl

April, 2, 2012 AT 2:09 PM

Check voltage @ starter

April, 2, 2012 AT 2:09 PM

Title had been truncated. Can you please elaborate?

If you had sprayed carb ceaner into the throttle body, it would definitely make it hard to start, at least for a while.

The fuel pressure driopping to 0 after 2 seconds indicate the fuel pump is working but you have a leak in the system. It could be from the fuel delivery line and intank or the fuel pressure regulator is bad.
Try clamping the return hose and testing the pressure to see if it drops, if yes, you would need to check the fuel pump side. If pressure does not drop, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

kvn4

April, 2, 2012 AT 2:36 PM

Had tps code yesterday with eractic idle but car started no problem. Cleaned iac valve this am and now have no start even with starter fluid. Checked spider area inside intake and just wet no gas smell. Tried startind seems to want to start but doesnt catch.

kvn4

April, 2, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

Any pics of fuel return hose. Or instructions. Thanks k

djcl

April, 2, 2012 AT 2:42 PM

Ee if the plugs are soked might be flooded

April, 2, 2012 AT 3:14 PM

Is your system CPI or TBI? For TBI the pressure dropping to 0 when ignition is turned off is correct.

kvn4

April, 2, 2012 AT 3:50 PM

Cpi pulled one plug and gunked up and wet. Shall get new ones tonight when wife gets home as stuck for now. Is best way to change them to go through wheel wells. Will do tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks again k

Wrenchtech

April, 2, 2012 AT 3:58 PM

You're symptoms are pointing to a leaking fuel injector assembly. The early Vortecs were notorious for that.

kvn4

April, 2, 2012 AT 8:54 PM

Changed plugs (i hate doing the left side) started right up but back to my high idle. Have code for the tps, could that be my problem or something else causing code. Money very tight but if you think should replace ill go with your advice.

djcl

April, 2, 2012 AT 10:48 PM

Yes a bad tps can cause a hi idle. Can you check the voltage on all 3 wires and let me know what thay are with key on

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test