STUMBLE ON ACCELERATION "95

1995 Ford Thunderbird

helofejo

1995 Thunderbird. Stumbles when excellerating. Sounds like a "miss" (laymans terminology). The vehicle has 500k plus miles on it. I bought it when it had approx 400k. My brother found a vacuum leak at a "T" junction and fixed that but, the problem got worse. Now it's dying when I slow down or idle.I tried to adjust the idle but, do not have knowledge except where the idle is located. This is my only method of transportaion and I have VERY limited funds. Where do I start?

Ford Man

Sounds like you have several vacume leaks. Either hard (cracked) or soft (mushy) rubber hoses. A cracked-hard vacume hose explains itself, whereas the soft (mushy) type needs help here. If the hose is extra soft ( like a cooked spagetti noodle), it will collapse upon itself, & stop the flow of vacume.

Ford Man

Jacobandnickolas

February, 14, 2011 AT 7:19 PM

Check the idle air control valve. Check to make sure there are no other vacuum leaks. I'm going to assume this isn't the original engine, so compression issues are up in the air at this point. Check the mentioned items as well as fuel pump pressure. If the check engine light is on, have the computer scanned.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma