HESITATION

1995 Ford Ranger

2guys

May, 30, 2012 AT 10:08 PM

95 ranger 2.3. It has 327,000 miles on it so I know it has some wear, but in hot weather it hesitates something awful. When you take off it will choke down and several seconds later start to pick up speed more like it should. It is sick in hot weather and always has been. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor and air filter and MAF sensor and IAT sensor and DPFE sensor none have helped. Once in a great while it will sound like a small backfire through the intake when you stomp the gas or downgear real hard. When the weather cools off, it runs fine again. At night I can climb a hill in 5th gear better than in 4th in the hot sun. What could cause this?

hmac300

May, 30, 2012 AT 10:13 PM

Scan for codes, check fuel pressure it should show something. And if you haven't done it replacethe fuel filter or if your pressure is low, replace the fuel pump and filter.

2guys

May, 30, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

No codes have recently replaced fuel pump and filter. Mechanic told me it had plenty of fuel pressure. It has done this for years now.

hmac300

May, 31, 2012 AT 1:10 PM

Check vacuum at idle if 15" or below suspect a bad/plugged converter.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995