95 F150 4WD, STEERIN POPS TURNING RIGHT

1995 Ford F-150

rutledge53534

June, 5, 2011 AT 5:32 PM

I am havine a bit of "trouble with the steering. When I turn sharp left onto a street and on the way back to center the wheel will***** right as if to "pop" then feel like it slightly pulls right. I checked the steering rods, ball joints and steering box and they all seem to be tight. I shot them with grease. Still the same. What would you think the culprit is?

caradiodoc

June, 5, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

First look for any u-joints in the steering shaft going down to the gearbox. They can bind and will sometimes have telltale signs of reddish rust around the bearing cups. Next, put your hand on the steering linkage in different places while a helper turns the wheel. See if you can feel that pop. As a last resort, disconnect an inner or outer tie rod end from one side then the other to see if the noise is gone when turning just one wheel. That will isolate it to one side. A ball joint can bind when it's supporting the truck's weight but turn freely when inspecting it jacked up.

Replace Muffler
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen