95 SURGES WHILE DRIVING

1995 Ford Escort

brantcoyle

June, 25, 2011 AT 3:47 PM

My 95 ford escort has a rattling sound when I first start it. In gear it speeds up and slows down. Then engine sounds fine. What could it be?

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

merlin2021

June, 25, 2011 AT 6:48 PM

Rattling can be either the exhaust heat shields have a broken weld, or the catalytic converter broke up inside and is rattling. Surging may be due to the converter restricting the exhaust, or a vacuum leak, or bad MAF(mass air flow) sensor. Is the check engine light on?

brantcoyle

June, 25, 2011 AT 11:47 PM

Nope no check engine light is on. The transmission was recently replaced. Its rought when you put the gas on and lacks power. The engine runs smooth though.

merlin2021

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

Check the converter.

brantcoyle

June, 26, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

Yeah, the guy came out and said it was the air conditioner though he didn't drive it around. It did seem a little rougher with the air conditioner on. He proclaimed it good enough for a crappy old car and didn't charge anything.

rivermikerat

June, 28, 2011 AT 11:19 PM

Ford's have been notorious for breaking welds on catalytic converter heat shields. Every Ford I've owned has had the problem, including the 3 Escorts I've owned.