CAR JUMPS WHEN I PUSH THE GAS

• trangdai
  • 1995 Eagle Talon

I have a 95 eagle talon. I sprayed under the hood with a water hose and now my car jumps when I push the gas. What is wrong with it? Sometimes it will stop shaking/ jumping when I stay at a constant speed.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

• caradiodoc

For now, dry off the spark plug wires. For later, they should be replaced so the same thing doesn't happen when driving in rain.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 2:22 AM
  • trangdai

I did this 2 days ago and I was To just let it sit and dry and I just drove it after 2 days and its still doing it.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 2:37 AM
  • caradiodoc

Once arcing occurs, it leaves a carbon track behind. That carbon track will conduct the spark much easier than making it jump the spark plug gap. The heat from repeated arcing can also cause the carbon-impregnated string inside the spark plug wire to burn away from the terminal. Once it burns away far enough, the ignition coil won't be able to provide enough voltage for the spark to jump the plug gap AND the burned-away wire.

Start with new spark plug wires. Look for arcing along the side of the spark plugs. If new wires don't solve that, replace the spark plugs. You might be able to hear that arcing but it's real easy to see at night.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 3:12 AM
  • trangdai

Ok thanks

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 3:36 AM