WHAT WILL MAKE MY COMPUTER READ NO POWER GOING TO IT?

• mglabas
  • 1995 Chevrolet Truck

My truck was running rough and I couldn't even move it so I took the carb off and took it apart and thouroughly cleaned it. I put it all back togehter it ran better. Now you could move it a little ways then it started idleing up and down so I checked the cold start censor by unpluging it and then it ran smoother so I bought a new one and put it on the truck and it wouldn't crank the computer reading say that the computer isn't getting any power what will cause that

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 2:38 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

There has to be an open circuit between where you plug in and the PCM. Check wiring harness at PCM for corrosion, something loose, pushed in pins. Also, check IAC for idle issues.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 2:52 AM
  • mglabas

Hello I checked all my connections to the pcm and everything is fine no corrosion no pushed in pins and all the connectons were tight is there anything else that would make it read there is no power going to the pcm

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 8:38 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Where are you getting this information?
What is the code number/s you are seeing?
Your truck doesn't have a carb.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
  • mglabas

12 is the code #

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 9:49 PM
  • Wrenchtech

There is no code 12. You always get that code before it reads the real codes stored.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 9:57 PM
  • mglabas

It will run idling but when I put it in gear it idles down and shuts off it is a manual trans

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 10:03 PM
  • Wrenchtech

First pull the EGR off and make sure it's not stuck open. At this point you could have issues with the throttle body, IAC, or many other things, especially since you have taken it apart now. You're not going to find this problem with a paper clip. That OBD1 system tracks only a fraction of what the newer computers track.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 10:10 PM
  • mglabas

When I took the throttle body off and cleaned everything I got new gaskets put it all back together and it ran better but I descovered the problem was the cold start censor and I replaced it then it wouldn't run right again I adjusted the timing and still the same problem the egr isn't stuck open any more suggestions

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 11:43 PM
  • mglabas

Do you think it could be the coil or the distributer cap

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 11:46 PM
  • Wrenchtech

There is no such thing as a "cold start sensor" so I don't know what you changed. It's probably time for a professional diagnosis.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 11:47 PM