Install a tach instrument cluster

FRYEBABY623
  • 5 POSTS
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10

I have a 95 2.2 4cyl chevy s10. Its manual and I want to install a tach instrument cluster but this truck did not come with a stock tach cluster. How can I do this? Does not have white wire coming out of dash.

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Harnesses are different. You would have to run a new wire to the ignition coil to the tach terminal in the cluster

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 5:55 PM
FRYEBABY623
  • 5 POSTS

There are 2 ignition coils one is for 1 and 2 cylinder, the other is for 3 and 4 cylinder. Which one do I attach the wire to?

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 6:08 PM
ASEMASTER6371

You need to hook it to the module to catch the tach wire. Look at the wire diagram

+4
Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 6:18 PM
FRYEBABY623
  • 5 POSTS

Thank you. I will definatly try this.

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 6:30 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Good luck

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 6:41 PM
JACOB62
  • 53 POSTS

I could be mistaken but I wanted a tach on my 2000 2.2 automatic rwd s-10 and I took the instument cluster out of an s-10 extremme (1999) and now I have a tachometer so the same should work 4 you. Cost me 15 bucks at the junk yard it was plug and play basicly once I pulled the dash apart a lill hope this helps :)

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 AT 5:39 AM
FRYEBABY623
  • 5 POSTS

@ Jacob62. I did pull a different cluster from a similar year vehicle but I did not have the wire to hook up to the harness in the back of the cluster. I hooked up the wire according to the wiring diagram that ASEMaster6371 so graciously sent me. It did work with a little patience and aggravation but I got it! Thank you both so much for your inputs! I hope this helps anyone else out there that needs similar assistance!

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 3:36 AM
CHEYVROCKS
  • 4 POSTS

Just wanted to get back to this post.
Review 1997 Chevy S1O 2, 2 5 SPEED.
I had asked about installing an instrument cluster with a Tach. I read all previous posts. Well I finally got back to this project. I purchased a cluster with A Tach that came out of a 1997 V6, it had about the same milage so I was happy about that. I pulled the cluster connector loose from the the dash to make it easier to test AND WALLA THE TACH AND ALL OTHE GAUGES WORKED PERFECTLY. Needless to say I am extremely happy. So I do not know what to say about needing to run a wire?
IT WAS PLUG AND PLAY FOR ME.
MAYBE BECAUSE I USED SAME YEAR CLUSTERS 1997?
MAYBE BECAUSE THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A CLUSTER WITH TACK ORIGINALLY?
OR I JUST GOT LUCKY, I DOUBT THAT.
But the cluster did have white wire and truck harness did have white wire, maybe they went to a standard harness in 1997, who knows, I do not.
Good Luck
CHEVY ROCKS

+1
Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 AT 12:04 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I guess it had the harness for that option.

+1
Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 AT 12:12 PM