I HAVE A BRAKE FAILURE.

1995 Chevrolet Cheyenne

thmick39

July, 31, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

Brake pedal soft when bought the truck. So I bled the brakes and had a wheel cylinder push the front piston completely out. Replaced with a new one. Did the same thing but this time noticed the rear piston never moved still in original position. Any help as to why it is doing this would be helpful. Thanks

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:19 PM

Did you bleed the brakes with the brake pads out? If not how did the piston push itself out?

If the pistons would not move if there are too much air in system. Otherwise the piston is seized.

thmick39

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

I adjusted the pads back into the pistons so they were right up against the wheel cylinder pistons. The piston facing the front of the truck moved forward but the rear facing piston never moved. The self adjuster seems to be working fine as well

thmick39

July, 31, 2012 AT 2:28 PM

Also the ABS light has been on since I bought it. Would that be part of the problem?

July, 31, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

ABS is another problem. You need to get the codes pulled to find out what is causing it.

You got me confused. You are talking about rear drum brakes and those are refered to as shoes, not pads.

When bleeding system, you need to have the drums on. The pistons would not move together. You need to stop the front shoe from moving before the rear would move.

thmick39

July, 31, 2012 AT 3:25 PM

Ok then it sounds like to me I need to change the shoes then. They look like they are due so I will try that and see if that fix's the problem. I will let you know if that did it. Thanks

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:05 PM

No, it is not the shoe that is causing the problem of the pistons not moving. If it is due for replacement, then they should be replaced but the rear piston is still not going to move unless the front shoe is restricted. If not the piston would fall out again.

thmick39

August, 11, 2012 AT 1:59 PM

I actually found the problem. I was taking the old shoes off when I noticed there were some springs missing off the shoes. So I got a new hardware kit and replaced everything on both sides including the shoes. Seems to have fixed the problem and the pedal is no where a soft as when I bought it.

August, 11, 2012 AT 3:04 PM

Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a nice day.

thmick39

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

Thanks.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

Did you properly seat and adjust the shoes after all that work? That will take up more of the slack and softness in the pedal.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front